Chances are you have experienced more than one of these socially awkward communication mistakes while talking to someone. Hopefully, you aren’t making many of these mistakes yourself. We all screw up sometimes, but if you’re making too many of these mistakes, people are probably avoiding you like the plague.
- Appearing cold – not being warm by smiling and making eye contact, or making eye contact but not responding when the other person speaks. Even if you aren’t responding because you’re shy or unsure. It causes discomfort and leaves a bad impression.
- Speaking too directly – this one depends on how well you know someone. When you first meet someone or don’t know them well, speaking too directly can be a turnoff.
- Only talking about you – not asking any questions or showing interest in others. A conversation is two ways. You do not have to always have a counter-story or bring the conversation back to you.
- Talking loudly and over everyone – this screams, ‘hey, look at me, I need attention’! If you feel yourself compelled to get a word in, ask yourself why it’s important. Chances are, your ego only thinks it’s important. Don’t do it.
- Making too much eye contact – some people find this very intimidating and intense. Mix it up but don’t spend your time looking around and not at the person you’re speaking to either.
- Making other people feel uncomfortable – by talking about taboo subjects or pointing out embarrassing things.
- Being negative or petty – complaining, gossiping, and whining.
- Smiling while saying something shitty – you are still a bitch even if you are smiling when you say something insulting. You aren’t hiding anything or being sly.
- Being generally needy – needing too much attention and approval gets old real quick. Always bringing attention back to you will turn people off.
- Being overly sensitive – getting offended easily, taking things personally. Making it all about you and acting as if other people are not allowed to have their own opinions. Everyone does not have to agree with you or like what you like.
That about sums it up. This is only a small list. If you have more examples of communication mistakes, leave them in the comments. Feel free to share this with the people in your life who need it!
If you are the one who needs it and you know it, contact me for a $25, How To Make Friends and Influence People session. Yes, I stole the name from Dale Carnegie. That guy knew what he was talking about.